A/C Compressor/Clutch Pulley Question?  

RSS

JoeClark
Trusted Member
05/10/2017 10:50 am  

hii,

I have a question due to my ignorance, this just happens to one of many areas.  My question is this, I have a 98 Buick LeSabre, its serpentine belt runs to the A/C compressor, which has a pulley and "clutch" (if this is incorrect my apologies, taking from what other websites have called it).  My issue is this, the A/C pulley is grinding and throwing off metal chips, when the A/C is turned on there is a loud, distinct grinding noise.  When I removed the serpentine belt, and took a closer look at the A/C pulley, i noticed i could move the actual pulley, and a thin metal ring (maybe .25 to .5 inch in thickness) back in forth in between the clutch plates.  This metal ring because of being able to move back and forth was showing signs of damage as the edges were grinding off.  I have no idea if this is how these are supposed to be or not, that is if these pulleys are supposed to have room to move back and forth? I don't know anything about this setup, and I'm asking for your help with this matter.

Thanks!

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:   http://www.carforums.com/forums/topic/65492-ac-compressorclutch-pulley-question/

Mobile Launch Video

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register